Day 2 – Maine, Refugees in Portland (Pt. 2)

Aug
By Aman Ali | 43 Comments »

Before heading out to Boston today, Bassam and I wanted to stay in Maine a little bit longer and visit the community in Portland.
We learned there was a fairly large refugee population from Iraq, Somalia, Afghanistan and Sudan. Why Maine? The United Nations helps refugees relocate to the United States  and often sends them to Maine because it’s a state with a slow growing population that’s known for having welcoming and friendly communities.

One of the men who immigrated to Maine recently was Faisal, an Iraqi who runs a halal meat butcher shop downtown. Faisal came to Maine about three years ago after his life was too dangerous in Iraq working as an interperter for an American contracting company. Now he and his colleague (pictured below cutting meat) make a living running Sindibad Market, aptly named after the Sinbad the Arabian folktale sailor.

The Sindbad Market in Portland, ME

Mishan, an Iraqi refugee, cleans the meat cutter before the start of the day. Mishan arrived in Portland less than a month ago.

I looked around the store and got a chuckle after finding a shelf of Fair and Lovely cream. It’s a skin bleaching cream that’s popular among the South Asians and other cultures. It’s sad but many foreign cultures view people with lighter skin tones to be more beautiful than people with darker skin, and some people will go to the ridiculous length to use this cream to bleach their skin.

Oi gori gori

Faisal left Iraq because he said criminal militias are runng the streets. He and his wife would take turns escorting their kids to school because it was just too dangerous for them to go alone. So in that sense, he’s relieved his kids can go to school in Maine in a safe and welcoming environment.

Faisal, the owner of Sindbad Market, leans on the counter while speaking with Aman.

On the other hand, Faisal faces the struggle that many immigrant parents face – trying to get their children to appreciate the culture they come from. His kids have been in the country for less than three years and already they’re forgetting how to speak Arabic. While he wants his kids to assimilate in American society and do well here, he worries they may forget about their homeland.

Faisal also talked about how there’s a pretty active mosque in Portland, which because of time we unfortunately didn’t have time to visit. The mosque is populated primarily by Iraqi and Somali refugees. So I said “Wow, I’m sure you guys have the best food at Ramadan dinners.” Sadly, no. Like many Muslim communities across the country, the groups are segmented. The Somalis have their own meat shop and get their groceries there, and the Iraqis come to Faisal’s.

We were getting ready to drive out to Boston when we passed by a playground. Turns out it was a community center catered to the needs of refugees living around the housing projects. Here, most of the refugees are from Sudan. The group the Catholic Charities of Maine works with the U.N. to bring families from war torn countries to the states. I spoke Alfred Jacob, a Southern Sudanese refugee who runs the center, while Bassam juggled between taking photos of the kids playing soccer and trying not to get kicked in the head with a ball.

Sudanese refugees play soccer in a playground of a housing project in Portland.

Many of the Sudanese children have households where both the parents are constantly working, primarily in Portland’s factories.  Alfred said many of the children don’t have problems feeling welcomed at school, but they often have trouble learning to adapt to an American learning environment. So the community center comes in and helps them ease that frustration. Alfred said he dealt with the frustration of adjusting when he came here too, so he works with the kids from firsthand experience and tries to instill hope in them. “Because without hope,” he said, “what else can you have if you want to succeed?”

A friendly push-up competition in the playground.

Smile

Enjoyed This Post? Share with others:

twitter! | stumble | del.icio.us |

Comments

1. August 14th, 2010 | cookie monster says:

Wheres the food?! lol

2. August 14th, 2010 | Ameena says:

Your investigation are very useful and this grass root journalism is really needed in the community. Good work! MashAllah!

3. August 14th, 2010 | Urooba says:

I love reading about y’all’s adventures!

4. August 14th, 2010 | Salman says:

Excellent story about our melting-pot of a nation, even in small-town USA.

5. August 14th, 2010 | Aman Ali says:

Thanks guys! Yeah it was really cool visiting Maine. It seems like I’m going to be saying this a lot on this tour, but if only we had more time to check the community out some more

6. August 15th, 2010 | Lee says:

Interesting to consider the criteria used for choosing where to relocate refugees. Welcoming communities are certainly important, but what an adjustment to go from the dry, seering heat of Iraq, Somalia, Afghanistan and Sudan to the frigid winters of Maine. What a shock.
    Safe journey and best wishes on your discoveries across the US. You’re doing a great thing!

7. August 15th, 2010 | Dilawar Ali Khan says:

Nice story and beautiful pictures keep up the good work,and stay safe.Good luck.

8. August 16th, 2010 | Sabah says:

Wow – this was cool to read. I have often wondered about the life of the rescheduled refugees in Maine. It is really insightful to have your firsthand view of it. Thanks for sharing! Look forward to learning from your next travels.

9. August 16th, 2010 | Anonymous says:

Lol, just so you know, that’s called a pull up, not a push up.

10. August 16th, 2010 | hafiz yusof says:

Im enjoying your stories and pics as usual :)

11. August 18th, 2010 | Kenny says:

Hey guys, the people in Augusta travel all the way to BOSTON to get Halal meats right? Why dont you connect them with the people in Portland? Theres at least two Halal meat places in Portland, that way they can save time, money, and have options.

I dont know how far Portland is from Augusta, but it cant be 4 hours away

12. August 18th, 2010 | Aman and Bassam says:

Kenny, the Muslims in Augusta told us most of the halal meat in Portland is shipped to them frozen, so they go down to Boston to get freshly slaughtered meat. But Allahu Alim, this is just what I was told

13. August 20th, 2010 | Erica says:

One of my friends posted this website on facebook, and I have to say I’m really excited that you guys came to Maine. If I had been home from camp by then, I would have been glad to wish you a Ramadan Mubarak (is that right?)! I’m glad you liked our city and I hope you visit again and have a longer chance to look around.
    A friend of mine LOVES Sun Oriental, a Korean market on Congress Street. She says a lot of the products are halal, which is really cool! There’s also some places on my way home that I’d love to look around in, but I’m always too nervous, lol. Anyway, there’s a great Muslim community here, as I know from having gone to Portland High School, and I can say with confidence that should you ever be interested in learning about the Jewish community here, you would be welcome with open arms. As long as you are willing to teach me a bit more about Islam. :)

14. August 20th, 2010 | Aman Ali says:

@Erica, yep Ramadan Mubarak is the right phrase to use! Wow those recommendations sound awesome, if only I knew about all that cool stuff before we went there! Oh well, another time :)

15. August 22nd, 2010 | Donna says:

I’ve enjoyed the posts here so much! It’s quite refreshing to read about Americans HELPING Iraqis instead of treating them as badly as has been reported lately. And it’s ironic that, although I’ve lived in Massachusetts for the last 30 years, I was born and grew up in Portland Maine, and the stark differences in pleasantries from people who publically service us (grocery store clerks, waiters, etc.) has been quite noticable to me for quite some time whenever I come home to visit. These posts and images validate the kindness so apparent in the people of Maine. I hope you enjoy living in Maine, as much as I did as a young girl. Best of luck to you all.

16. August 28th, 2010 | Anonymous says:

Small town? Portland is our biggest city! And our most diverse! And… a lot of other things.

It’s tiny compared to my hometown of Los Angeles, or most of the other places I have lived (Boston, DC, Santa Cruz, CA) but it’s not exactly hickville…

I live three hours northeast of Portland and even my city of around 6,500 is not considered “rural” by Maine standards.

17. September 1st, 2010 | emily says:

i love this post – it makes me homesick for my hometown portland. i am not muslim myself, but i am so touched and proud to hear how people in portland are treating members of the muslim community with respect and kindness – as you would hope everyone would treat everyone. i wish it were that way in all towns. thank you for sharing your project online! i am enjoying following along.

18. September 11th, 2010 | Fatima says:

I literally laughed out loud when i read ‘fair and lovely’

19. September 16th, 2010 | alex says:

Hi,
    I’m a regular whatever non religious kind a guy and i love that you guys are doing this trip. It’s so refreshing to see people handing out love rather than hate or negativity or apathy. i was crying by the 2nd day on the trip. I hope you all keep to do this trip. It is one of the few good things i see on a day to day basis, and im very thankful for that. So even though i ain’t religious, my prayers or whatever they are, thoughts, go out to you.
    alex

20. September 30th, 2010 | thy bilet fiyatları says:

selamın aleyküm kardeşlerim sizleri tebrik ederim böyle güzel bir site yaptığınız için şimdilik bu kadar diyorum başkada birşey demiyorum.

21. December 1st, 2011 | 63Strausbaugh@gmail.com says:

Well done my mate, i really enjoy it.

22. March 9th, 2013 | Immigration Advicers endfiled says:

Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to
    get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it

Feel free to surf to my web-site: Immigration Advicers endfiled

23. November 14th, 2014 | cheap jordan 1 youth says:

Have you ever considered writing an e-book or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog centered on the same information you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would appreciate your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
    cheap jordan 1 youth
    [url=http://www.kidstri.net/index.asp?shop=cheap-jordan-1-youth&id=7535]cheap jordan 1 youth[/url]

24. November 15th, 2014 | air jordan xx3 black says:

Audio began playing anytime I opened up this site, so irritating!
    air jordan xx3 black

25. Concise publishing will show the incontestable details on shoes and ways in which it could effect owners.
    hot sale michael kors perforated logo grab large orange shoulder bags black friday at the official online store

26. November 15th, 2014 | deportivas nike air max mujer says:

The heart of your writing while appearing reasonable in the beginning, did not really sit very well with me personally after some time. Someplace throughout the paragraphs you actually managed to make me a believer unfortunately just for a short while. I however have a problem with your jumps in assumptions and you might do well to help fill in those breaks. In the event that you actually can accomplish that, I could undoubtedly be fascinated.
    deportivas nike air max mujer

27. November 15th, 2014 | nike air max liquid gold uk says:

Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any assistance is very much appreciated.
    nike air max liquid gold uk

28. November 15th, 2014 | nike free run 2.0 features says:

Fantastic blog you have here but I was curious if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article? I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get advice from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Bless you!
    nike free run 2.0 features

29. November 20th, 2014 | ugg ムートンブーツ サイズ says:

The idea being that we could exposure larger objects and also capture in different screen ratios (ie- 4:3 and 16:9).

30. November 20th, 2014 | ugg 激安 ブーツ says:

The polaroid images documented here were produced by Jeremy using this Kirlian device. Please visit his website to see more of his other work.

31. November 20th, 2014 | ugg 新作 ブーツ says:

I’ve made my fermented root beer with kefir and I wasn’t quite as happy with it. But there is no harm in trying and I’d love to hear how it goes!

32. November 20th, 2014 | グアム ugg 値段 says:

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.

33. November 20th, 2014 | アグ ファッション says:

The cable is embedded within the plate so the perspex sheet had to be heated and shaped around the cable to ensure a flat surface. See below.

34. November 20th, 2014 | ugg 男性 says:

You could probably add a cup of whey instead of the gingerbug but it would definitely change the flavor profile.

35. August 13th, 2015 | Pour choisir New Balance 574 Femmes says:

The very crux of your writing whilst appearing reasonable originally, did not really work properly with me personally after some time. Someplace within the paragraphs you actually were able to make me a believer but just for a very short while. I nevertheless have a problem with your leaps in logic and you would do nicely to fill in those breaks. In the event that you can accomplish that, I will undoubtedly end up being fascinated.

36. Audio started playing anytime I opened up this web page, so frustrating!

37. Hi! I realize this is kind of off-topic however I needed to ask. Does building a well-established blog like yours require a large amount of work? I’m completely new to running a blog however I do write in my diary every day. I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

RSS feed for coments on this post
Trackback URL